By Guest Blogger: Magda M. Olchawska
How Many Hats Do Independent Artists Have To Wear?
Being an independent artist is not a piece of cake. Apart from finding time to create you need to set enough time aside to promote your work either online on in a 3D world.
At times it drives me insane that I have to do everything on my own. Apart from writing or making a movie I need to find a way of getting my work in front of readers or the audience. This is very time consuming and feels like a marathon than a short distance run.
Amongst all of that one has to have some “me time”, a movie night or a dinner date. Otherwise life & work become too overwhelming to carry on.
In my opinion independent artists are one of the hardest working people out there. We hardly ever switch off (it’s not like having 9-5 job when you leave the office & forget all about), have hardly any money and a head full of ideas that we can’t act on ‘cos we don’t have enough resources.
The hats I wear on regular basis:
- PR person & main contact
- Film director & producer
- Social networker
How do I manage all that? I don’t know. I guess I work a lot. I don’t have much time to relax and I’m constantly on the deadline. However, I have figured out a few ground rules, which I hope you will find beneficial.
- If I have to write I never open Twitter or my email before. I write first and focus on it entirely.
- I always make a list of things I need to do each day. Make a list shorter so if you have some extra time left, learn something new or read a book.
- I try to take time off the Internet as often as I can.
- I schedule tweets.
- I’ve decided to be present on very limited number of networking websites ‘cos having too many sites to attend is just time consuming and not really effective.
- I usually work on two projects at the same time. Working on more becomes too stressful.
- For every project (in my case either book or a film) I create a press kit to keep in handy in case someone wants to write about it.
We – The Artists try to create something for the next generations to enjoy. We pour our souls into the art we create. Often are not rewarded for the work we do in a way we would like.
But each time I want to stop I can’t stop!!!
This is just who I am, the essence of my being is creation. Without creating I wouldn’t exist.
Happy creating my fellow artists.
Please rate this article.
If you enjoy Pluginin™ and the information we provide please sign up as a subscriber today! Thank You.
Let us know your thoughts and comments.
Pluginin™ © 2012 All RIGHTS RESERVED Leader in Quality Introductions for Today’s Emerging Artist.